Get Social with Me!
Director of Technical Projects at Baker Labs ► Aviation Blogger ► Private Pilot
I am a digital marketing professional, aviation blogger, and web content creator. I really enjoy producing valuable content and creating thriving communities for companies and individuals.
Following my graduation from UT Knoxville in 2009, I worked in the GIS sector before I started freelancing full-time as a content marketer and freelance writer. I currently create articles, blog posts, websites and social media content regularly for clients worldwide. If you are looking for someone to take the burden of blogging off your back or create content for your website and social media platforms or to set up a nice Website for your business, I’d love to talk with you.
My specialties include, but are not limited to:
- SEO copywriting — I regularly study developments in SEO best practices and apply them to my writing in order to provide clients with content that reads well and ranks well in search engines
- WordPress site design and management — I regularly manage about 20 WordPress-based websites and blogs including updates, optimizing performance, and publishing content. Additionally, I regularly design and build WordPress-based sites.
- Aviation writing — In addition to producing content on aviation training sectors (flight training, aviation mechanic training, etc.), I also write and edit a personal aviation blog.
- Content management and content marketing — In addition to writing content for platforms including blogs, web sites, and social media, I also source good photography and video content to supplement client content.
- Social media management — I regularly create, optimize, and manage client’s social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Google+
- Local SEO — With mobile internet access taking the world by storm and voice search positively exploding onto the scene, optimizing for local search is quickly becoming a must for every business! I can help boost your rankings in Google Maps and local search results.
- Google Analytics and other digital analytics software
In my spare time I enjoy flying, photography, and hiking with my wife, dog, and two boys. I’m a Private Pilot currently training for an Instrument Rating. I maintain a blog about flight training and aviation called Leaving Terra Firma.
Director of Technical Projects
Sep 2014 – Present
From SEO and building websites to sending email newsletters and working Hubspot magic, I have a hand in a lot of exciting inbound and digital marketing projects including, but not limited to:
– Develop, launch, maintain and optimize WordPress-based websites to create search engine optimized sites that look great and bring in leads
– Manage a the flow of information between developers, designers and clients on more advanced web development projects.
– Create and send regular email newsletters, using Mailchimp, Hubspot and Constant Contact, that have been sent to over a million subscribers.
– Setup and use Hubspot to create and maintain inbound marketing systems that help grow revenue
– Write and publish SEO-optimized blog posts for Baker Labs and client blogs
– Complete and oversee completion of SEO projects including keyword research, local SEO, and other search engine optimization tasks
Freelance Writer, Aviation Blogger, and Social Media Manager
Matthew Everett, Writer
Aug 2010 – Present
I regularly create articles, blog posts, and other content for businesses and websites that are looking to expand the content on their website or social media platforms for SEO or content marketing. My writing is a mix of pieces under my byline or ghostwritten for the business owners depending on what the client needs. I also manage and consult with clients regarding social media platforms and how they can make their content work for them.
Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority
Aug 2008 – Sep 2010
My primary duties included field data collection via GPS, data entry processing, and validation, and optimization of data. In addition I produced maps, diagrams, and other visual aids as needed to aid in the interpretation and understanding of the data for other projects.
IT and Document Control Intern
Lauren Engineers & Constructors
Jun 2008 – Aug 2008
During my summer internship I performed many tasks relating to the expansion of the office. Specifically I deployed approximately 20 new workstations from box to desk including installing software, adding them to the domain, and setting them up in offices. Another accomplishment was the setup and installation of approximately 16 to 18 cubicles. Additionally I was tasked with document control tasks such as the creation of PDF copies of project manuals as needed.
START Team member
University of Tennessee at Knoxville Office of Information Technology
Oct 2007 – Jun 2008
My primary duties were to assist the faculty and staff in creating electronic teaching aids such as a website or syllabus. In fulfilling these duties I became quite proficient in the production of 360 degree panoramic tours of rooms and facilities. Additionally, I was tasked with training and troubleshooting of Smart Board equipped classrooms and Centra based web-training classrooms.
Additionally, I was primarily responsible for the deployment of 6 new dell laptops and 6 new macbooks to my colleagues. This included setting up the users, installing software, and adding them to the network. This was followed up with the collection of the old machines and an inventory of the IT assets of the START team.
University of Tennessee-Knoxville
B.A. in Geography, Minor in Linguistics
2004 – 2009
Activities and Societies: 2 years of Russian study, 1 year of Mandarin Chinese study
Course work included:
Cartography, Computer Mapping, Geographic Information Systems, GPS and Geographic Data, Statistical Methods, The Land-Surface System, Climatology, Descriptive Linguistics, Historical Linguistic Methods, Sociolinguistic Methods, and Introduction to Programming (C)
William Blount High School
2000 – 2004
Activities and Societies: Band Captain and Section Leader, Beta Club, Student Union
Course work included:
Graduated with an honors diploma after four years of honors courses including English literature and history. Coursework included a full year of Russian language study, physics, and several years of band. Held several leadership positions in marching band and symphonic band including section leader and band captain.